Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mom's Run For Talia!! & Why!!

I have done many races since starting with Team in Training in August of 2011. I have blogged here about those races, and also about my life in general. Things seem to be evolving for me to a whole new level. Now I'm a Chapter Leader for a Running Group called Mom's Run this Town, I'm a member of my beloved running groups Endurance Sports Connection, #run3rd, and Disney Pacebook Running Club. I am still a full time Movie Theatre Manager, Fiance, Mom of 3 and Cancer Survivor. My hats seem to change from time to time, but the constant in my life beside my Family and my battle with cancer, RUNNING is tops in my life.

I have run for Team in Training, I have Run for Angel Snugs, and I have run for myself. Through all those races, I have always #run3rd for Christian & Lily. Two courageous children that I have never even had the pleasure to meet, but love there parents so much, that my heart continue to ache for their loss. And for Talia & Jacob who continue to fight Cancer yet find a way to reach out to the world through social media to encourage others.
Christian
Lily

Jacob
Talia




I know I've posted this before, but since my blog has taken on a whole new meaning, I wanted to post this for those who may have not gone back to read old post. My reason for this site in both personal and now public.

Why it's personal for me:

In 2002 I was diagnosed with Grade II Atypical Meningioma. Basically it is a tumor that forms on the lining of the Brain. I started to go through radiation therapy, which was successful. In 2006 the tumor had come back as a Grade III Malignant Meningioma. I then went through another session of radiation Therapy. This time not as successful as the first. In 2007 I had Endoscopic Surgery to remove a majority of the tumor. In 2009 I went through a procedure called Stereotactic Gamma knife something or other Surgery that was very successful in removing the last bit of the tumor. So they thought.  I was also diagnosed with Ovarian cancer which after a short treatment period and a complete Hysterectomy I am still doing fine.In October 2012, I had a brief scare that cancer had returned to a little piece of Tumor that was actually left behind, but good news it was not Cancer, but what the DR called a per-cancerous state, that later he said was fine?? So as of now I continue to be Cancer Free. Although my DR will not consider me completely cancer Free until it has been 5 years with no scares. So I guess that starts over now with the last Scare in October 2012. NAH!!! I'm going by the 2009 Surgery. So Feb 2013 was 4 years.


So that's where it all began.....

Why run for Talia:

Now I am starting a new fundraising Journey. Because of Talia and her amazing inspiration, My self and my Running Group Mom's Run This Town will be running and raising money for Base Camp. We will participate in the Base Camp Miles for Smiles event on September 21st 2013. Each of us will raise money for Base Camp and help them to continue to help make a difference in the lives of Children with Cancer and Their Families. About BASE Camp Children’s Cancer Foundation: BASE Camp website is www.basecamp.org and Facebook page is www.facebook.com/BaseCampRocks . For over 30 years, BASE Camp, has been providing financial support, recreation, food and transportation to over 12,000 families battling childhood cancer.


Talia, has been a big part of my Running Journey. She motivates me to keep going and to continue to find new ways to help out and make a difference in this world. To make a difference in the fight against cancer, especially childhood cancer. 

Basecamp released this this week: 

Talia Joy Castellano has been fighting cancer for nearly 7 years and last August she was told she has a new second kind of cancer. The 13 year old was already a YouTube sensation with her makeup tutorials. When she delivered the news about this new form of cancer, she said, “Life is like a journey. It has a beginning, a middle and an end. And I guess my journey is nearing the end.” This video went viral and Talia went from 25,000 YouTube subscribers to over a half a million in addition to 100,000 Facebook likes, 1 Million Instagram followers and 60,000 Twitter followers. Talia has continued to do her makeup videos and do cancer updates. She has enjoyed all the opportunities that she was able to in the last few months. Through it all, she has continued to be her spunky, sassy self. When Talia appeared on The Ellen Show, she was asked how does she keep her spirits up? Her answer; “A little fish once told me, just keep swimming.”

A couple of weeks ago, new scans revealed that her cancer has spread throughout her bones and it is giving her a lot of pain. She has been on IV pain medication to help. While Talia is now out of treatment options, she is still living her life and wants to make sure that she leaves her “footprints and fingerprints” on the world.

She still has a lot of dreams and one of them is to help children and families who are battling cancer. Talia's favorite charity is the BASE Camp Children's Cancer Foundation. Talia wants to help Base Camp have a permanent home, so she is launching a fundraising campaign called “Bring Hope Home” to raise $100,000. Talia intends to leave her legacy, and one way is by helping BASE Camp. The donation site is: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bring-hope-home.


So that is why Seminole County Chapter of Mom's Run this town will run for Talia!!!  Please keep your eyes open for upcoming information on how you can help me raise funds. Also is you want to join us at this race, or want more information on how you can help, please email me at SeminoleCoMRTT@gmail.com. 

 


the many faces of Base Camp.







No comments:

Post a Comment