Saturday, May 25, 2013

Mothers Day Teal Ribbon 5k race recap.




On Sunday May 12th 2013, I ran yet another of my repeat races. It's nice to run a race and say in the back of my mind, "I did this last year, now lets see if I improved?" I love that I am repeating race, that just means that I am really sticking with this.

Last year I ran this race with the Waste Pro Group, but this year I ran with my Chapter of Moms Run This Town. I have really enjoyed being a Chapter Leader for this running group, and it helps keep me motivated to keep on moving and gives me something to be accountable to. I know me I NEED something or someone to be accountable to or else I tend to just give up.That's just one of my many faults.

Now back to the race. This race is held at the Oviedo Mall, which is really starting to grow on me. This is the 4th time that I have run a race here. it's sounds weird to say i ran a race around the mall. Especially since I worked at the theatre there for over 5 years, but it's actually a nice course. It goes out around the mall, then turns around and comes back.

This race is special to me because it is for Ovarian Cancer, of which I am a survivor. This years race was even more special because it was on Mothers Day and my Daughter ran it with me, what better Mothers Day present than to run a 5k with your little girl. OK, so she is 19 and not that little anymore, but in my heart she will always be my little girl. It was her first 5k, and I was honored to run it with her. I was also very proud that she finished strong. I hope that we can run more races together in the future, maybe even run a 1/2 Marathon together.

It was also an honor to run it with my fellow Moms Run This Town team mates. In attendance were Jean and her Daughter Emi, who is always a pleasure to run with. Trisha, Miranda, Patrice and Noelle.

Overall, this was a good race that I will do year after year (hopefully with my daughter). It is a baby-stroller friendly race and has a kids race as well. The proceeds from this event go to the Ovarian Cancer Alliance of Florida, and is managed by racetime managment. This event is a chip timed event using the RFID Timing Systems Ultra disposable chip on bib. Awards will be given to the Overall Male and Female, overall masters male and female, and 3 deep in the following male and female age categories.  10 and under, 11-14,  15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70 and Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment