Saturday, May 25, 2013

11th Annual Greater Oviedo 5k Recap & #Run3rd Honor

Today I ran the 11th Annual Greater Oviedo 5k. This was the first time that I ran this race, but it was a great race. It is put on every year by the First Baptist Church of Oviedo and there were over 700 participants.

It was a mostly shaded course through the neighborhood behind the church, then you ended on the Cross Seminole Trail and returned to the Finish line in front of the church. After the race there was a pancake and egg breakfast, vendors and prizes. The only down fall to the race was the 7:30 am start time. It was pretty hot out today, and by the end it was getting to the point of too hot. Even just a half hour earlier at 7am would have made a difference. Still a race I would do again.

I ran this race with my ever faithful, ever growing, ever loved Mom's Run This Town. We had a great turnout this time with Okely, Caryn, Brandyn, Trisha, Michele and I in attendance.
Brandyn, Trisha, Me, Okely, Caryn, Michele
 Being Memorial Day Weekend, it was also the perfect race to #Run3rd for our Military. Actually, i have a special story I would like to share about the little White start that you can see attached to my shirt over my heart. Also pictured below with the paper that explains what the star is for. While I was at work the other day, I was talking with a coworker about #Run3rd and what it means, about the different races that I have done, and why i keep doing these races in honor of other people, some that I don't even know. One of my guest came up to me and handed me a little baggy with a white star in it. He told me it belonged to his friend that recently passed, and that they both served in Vietnam together. He didn't say anything other than that then walked away. When I read the little piece of paper that was inside, it brought me to tears, and I new exactly what I needed to do. I will #Run3rd with this star proudly displayed in all my future races. Today was my chance to honor the man who once proudly flew this flag over his home and his friend that gave it to me. It's a pure HONOR!!!!

I also #Run3rd today for All our Military, Past Present & Future. For Harry a friends father who I pray for to heal. For Boston and all the Heroes there, & for the Victims of the Oklahoma tornado's
My Race Bib with my #Run3rd Dedications

The Star and paper that was with it. A Real Honor!















My new 5k PR
 Today was also a PR Day for both myself and my teammate Trisha. She finished a very strong 30:46.68 (9:55 min mile) She did an amazing job. So very proud of her. I too PR'd. I am still pretty slow, but I celebrate ever milestone. My new 5k time is 49:57.12 (16:04min mile)  For some it may not sound like much, but for me it is a major accomplishment and I post this time very proudly. As my friend Robyn would say. I'm faster than the couch!

Michele and her son. It was his 1st 5k
After the race it was nice to go home and relax and ice my knees and wear my Pro Compression Socks. AHHHH!

ahh Pro Compression Socks and Ice











1 comment:

  1. Wow- that looks like a great race! How go I follow you with bloglovin' or google friends connect? I don't see the button for them.... did i overlook it?
    ~Robin @ outrunningtherain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete