Monday, October 8, 2012

So Began a New Journey...

So began a new Journey...

by Angi's Place on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 12:52am ·

I started training for Team in Training (TNT)for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) in August 2011. Working to be able to finish the Disney ½ Marathon in January 2012. The reason I started was not to really even do the ½ marathon, it was to raise money for a great cause. To help them so that they could find answers to a disease that has claimed the lives of so many. I learned that LLS is the world's largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services. Wow!! I translated that dream as God's way of telling me this is what he saved me for. To help raise money for this great cause.

To make things go a little more to the weird side. I walked into the LLS office one day, and as I was waiting in the lobby I glanced over at a bunch of pictures on the wall. The first face I saw was the face of that little boy that got me here. There was a picture of Christian hanging on the wall wearing a TNT t-shirt. Wow!! That was a sign to me that I was doing the right thing.

So back to the whole marathon thing. I never even intended to do it. I was just trying to raise money. I figured I needed to at least go to a training or 2, so I went to the first Saturday Team Training. When I got there I first saw all these skinny, very physically fit people and I was about to turn my car around. But then I saw the purple TNT shirts by the water fountain at Blue Jacket Park. They looked like ordinary people. Some where really fit, some not so much, and some right in the middle. Hmm. I got out of the car and went see what it was all about...


The Journey continues...

by Angi's Place on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 1:05am ·

At the first training I think we walked about 2 miles. Man it was the longest 2 miles of my life. What did I get myself into. I also met Robyn at this first training, a short red head with fire in her eyes, and a balance issue that made her wobble down the road. Let's just say we became fast friends.

Group training week 2, I met Deb, a very nice women that reminded me so much of me that I had to get to know her...New friend #2...hmmm this whole thing was getting good. I was making friends, and I was exercising at the same time. I decided that I would at least go to those Saturday trainings. As time went on I was forming relationships and bonds with so many team mates that I was actually feeling better about myself. I was actually training during the week now on my own, and I looked forward to those Saturday group trainings even though the miles were growing longer and longer. I was actually WANTING to do this, WANTING to finish this half Marathon. I was learning so much...



A lesson in life...

by Angi's Place on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 1:07am ·

Let me tell you I learned a great lesson in teamwork from this group. I learned that I could do anything I put my mind to. I met Deb, Robyn, Jessica, Sara, Gina, Liliana, Patrice, and so many other people who were now more like a family.

I had three of the best coaches ever. Coach Clint was our walk coach. He was great, and if not for him I would have missed some of those Saturday trainings that were just too far away. He held smaller group trainings that were closer to home. Coach Laura, she did something that no one has ever done for me before. She proved to me that I could do this, that if I really put my mind to it that I could actually FINISH this ½ Marathon. “Swing those arms no talking” That was what she told me during one of my speed trainings. It began a long standing joke from there. Then Coach Rich, he walked the entire Marathon with me and my friend Deb. From start to finish, he was there coaching us to slow down at the beginning so we didn't use up all our energy too soon. Helping to guide us where to walk so that we were walking the shortest route. Then towards the end making us look back to see all the people that were still behind us. Showing us that we weren't last. That we had both done this.

I learned a lot from TNT. I changed a lot because of it. I met the best group of friends/teammates anyone would ever want to have.

Now I am closer to GOD than I ever was before, I believe in myself again, and I know that he speared me for many reason. I have set up many goals for myself, but this time on my terms. I am ready to start a life as a healthier version of me.




No comments:

Post a Comment