Monday, October 8, 2012

Some of the races along the way...

by Angi's Place on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 1:08am ·

While taking this incredible journey I actually lost my mind a little. I actually started wanting to get in better shape. I started wanting to run more races. It's like this new fire in me was ignited.

I have actually already walked in several races, and I made a New Years Resolution to do one race a month every month of 2012.

These are the races and stats so far.

October 23, 2011

UCF U Can Finish 5 miler: Finished in 1:30:22 placed in 1426 place out of 1438 people.

November 13, 2011

Founders day 5k: Finished in 57:42 placed 746 out of 756 people.

December 10, 2011

Vanessa Welch Reindeer Run 3 mile race: Not a timed event.

January 7th 2012

Disney ½ Marathon: Finished in 4:02:56 placed 22341 out of 22443 (that completed)

February 4, 2012

Lady Track Shack 5k: Finished in 54:24 place 1676 out of 1837

I have started working on my issues with a new doctor. I found out that I had a severe B12 deficiency, which has gotten better. I'm eating better, making small changes in food, and exercise. My knees are still an issue but as I am losing weight and my legs are getting stronger, they are getting much better. Now I have it in my head that I want to RUN my next ½ Marathon. Yup I did say my next ½.



The Journey has only begun...

by Angi's Place on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 1:10am ·

This is now a life long journey for me. One that I hope I can continue to keep you posted on here at Angi's place.

Now I WANT to RUN!! . Yup RUN not walk my second 1/2 Marathon in October. The Nike woman’s half in San Francisco (with Team in Training). So, I went back to the basics of learning to run, I have continued my training on my own with a New Years resolution to do 1 race a month no matter how small every month this year . Official training for Nike starts in April or May, but for now I am speed walking 5K's and adding in the running a little at a time. . I have caught a passion for running that I can't believe.

Next on my plate I am doing a 5K next Sunday, then a 10k the week after that. In April I have two 5Kk's and maybe even MyFirst Tri-athalon. May another Disney event, September a 10 mile race, Then Nike in October.

Some plans for the future: a Full Marathon in 2013, and a century ride in 2014, maybe even a half Iron Man in 2015, and an Iron Man in 2016

Wow I must be crazy, but I love every minute of it.
And to think it all started from a Dream, a little boy I never met, and the best friends and teammates ever!!!!




Why LLS, Why I do these crazy things.

by Angi's Place on Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 6:44pm ·

Many of my friends and family know that I am not much of a runner at all. I NEVER have been, I spend many of my days at work and my nights... well, you'll usually find me at work or at home on the couch. That's about it. Notice how you wouldn't find me at the gym? Yeah.

Why, then, would someone like me, a person who is clearly not athletic, train for a marathon? That is a question I asked myself before I trained for my first ½ marathon back in January of this year. Yes, I have already walked a ½ -- the Disney ½ Marathon. Through out my training I have made some of the best friends ever, and not to leave anyone out the dearest of these are my 2 fellow Team Aries members Deb and Robyn. Now together the 3 of us seem to have gone from that elusive half crazy 13.1 mile training to a certifiably crazy 26.2 . We seem to think it will be "fun" to train for a grueling 26.2-mile marathon together.

Strangely enough, they are right.

For the Disney ½ Marathon we spent almost 6 months training for the ½ marathon and, despite the painful aftermath, we had fun -- early morning runs, great long conversations as we walked, and a couple amazing brunches after our weekly long runs. We kept each other on check, holding each other accountable, and I venture to say we formed a bond that was very familiar. We also met plenty of people along the way, most of whom were avid runners, some who have run marathons before. At the end of the ½ marathon, I thought, "Why would anyone do that again?

Here I am before you, about to train for my second event, a FULL marathon. The first event I did was a personal challenge. I wanted to finish a ½ marathon, check off one thing on my "bucket list." This time it's different.

Everyday I meet people who have survived a blood cancer, or someone who has lost someone to a blood cancer. I have a personal friend whose life was once touch by this awful disease. Above all the (many) reasons I chose to train with LLS's Team In Training, I am running this one for my friend and the countless others out there who have had to cross paths with this wretched disease. I will work to continue in the fight against Leukemia & Lymphoma by raising money to help find the cure and improve the quality of life of Lymphoma patients and their families.

***NOTE.. since this post, my doctor informed me that I would not be able to complete a  Full Marathon at this time because of my issues with my knees, so I decided to step down to the 1/2 Marathon for Nike. My great friend deb joined me and we both are still cheering on Robyn as she completes her first Full.  Go Team Aries***

 



No comments:

Post a Comment